LORD LOVE A DUCK, by Al Hine - 1961 [1st ed., DJ]
Lord Love a Duck
by Al Hine
First edition. New York: Atheneum, 1961
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition, with a VERY GOOD DJ under Mylar.
- Blue cloth covers are mostly clean, with gilt title on spine. Boards show a little edgewear. Corners are sharp.
- Spine has gilt text and is bright with bumped foot end.
- Binding is firm.
- Canary yellow end papers/ pastedowns show little to no sign of age or wear.
- Interior exhibits minimal signs of age and wear. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have red ink along head, a mark at fore edge, some unevenness to page edges at foot. See photos.
- DJ looks great behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- Close examination of DJ reveals bumping at foot edge, tiny chips and closed tears especially at spine ends, chipped corners, a little darkening at edges of returns. See photos.
367 pages. 5 3/8 x 8 1/4 inches
The third novel written by Al Hine (1915-1974), reporter, novelist, and movie producer. Hine's material is generally considered humorous pop culture; Lord Love a Duck was made into a movie starring Tuesday Weld and Roddy McDowell. But when the novel appeared in 1961, its skewering of American society, with its love of beautiful people and easy answers, was expected to be a painful look in the mirror. At least, that is what the jacket blurb writers anticipated.
A very nice first edition copy, with original dust jacket. Its condition suggests minimal handling in the years since its publication. Dust jacket is designed to read from the front or from the back.
First edition, as per the copyright page.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore