LA JARDINIERE DE VINCENNES, by Madame de Villeneuve - 1778 [2 Vols]
La Jardiniere de Vincennes - 5 Parts in 2 Volumes
(The Lady Gardener of Vincennes)
by Gabrielle-Suzanne de Villeneuve
Text in French. Parts 1, 2 & 3 in First Volume; parts 4 & 5 in Second Volume. London: J.F. Bassompierre, 1778.
Hardbacks are overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Antiquarian volumes feature full leather binding with title blocks and gilt filigree and text on spine.
- Volumes display commensurate aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Covers exhibit significant edgewear, with exposed boards at corners, that are also softened, and along parts of edges, as well as general rubbing and dust, more to back covers on both volumes.
- Volume 1:
- head corner on front has a bump;
- spine shows a tiny hole above title block;
- page 3-4 of Part 2 shows a 2" x 1" corner chip, that affects only page number, and does so minimally. (See photos for all details)
- Volume 2:
- front cover shows significant rubbing;
- spine is cracked along back shoulder at head end along 0.75", and at foot with chip along 0.75", and has a tiny chip to head corner of title block;
- head of spine exhibits a tiny hole, and foot of spine displays some cracking;
- hinges show a little cracking;
- front pastedown shows dated gift inscription from previous owner;
- pages including title page and front fep, occasionally exhibit some edgewear with small corner creases and minor chips;
- last page has a 2" horizontal tear going into page from fore edge, affecting one line of text. (See photos for all details)
- Spines are a little dry along shoulders, and rubbed at ends as well as all along spine piece, with rubbing affecting filigree.
- Binding is overall secure in both volumes.
- Endpapers display some edge staining going 1.25" into paper at maximum.
- Title page also shows a little edge staining that remains in margins, about 0.25" into page. (See photos)
- Interior shows commensurate toning with scattered foxing, stains and spots in both volumes, usually no bigger than 1" or smaller. Text remains totally readable. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are inked with a design. Ink has occasionally dripped down to margin on some pages. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
345 pages (Vol 1) + 215 pages (Vol 2). 4 x 6.75 inches.
Antiquarian volumes feature full leather binding with title blocks and gilt on spine.
La Jardiniere de Vincennes is one of four novels written by the author between 1752 and 1754. A story of love, marriage, and choices in the French nobility, it reveals the influence of the precieuse style and is a nice sample of 18th-century French literature.
Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve (1685-1755) was a French author of novels and fairy tales. Her works show the influence of Madame d'Aulnoy and Charles Perrault, as well as precieuse writers. She is best-known for her version of the fairy tale La Belle et la Bete, which is the oldest known variant of the fairy tale.
EDITION POINTS: New Revised Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore