JOURNAL OF A WEST INDIA PROPRIETOR, by Matthew Gregory Lewis - 1834 [1st Edition]
Journal of a West India Proprietor, Kept During a Residence in the Island of Jamaica
by Matthew Gregory Lewis
First Edition. London: John Murray, 1834.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Quarter leather bound with marbled paper.
- Boards show some dirt, scuffing, and edgewear. Corners are scuffed and frayed with exposed board. (Please see photos)
- Spine has gilt text and is scuffed with firm ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Interior is gently age-toned and has scattered moderate foxing, mostly from ffep-pg.2 and pg.401-rfep. (Please see photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges show some dirt at top edge and some foxing.
408 pages. 5.5x8.75 inches.
"Journal of a West India Proprietor: Kept During a Residence in the Island of Jamaica was written by Englishman Matthew Gregory Lewis (9 July 1775 - 16 May 1818) during his first journey to his plantations in Jamaica in 1817. It was not published in London until nearly two decades after in 1834, during the height of the international abolitionist movement. Lewis was a slave-owner who inherited two large plantations, which he would visit twice (this text refers only the first visit). During this trip, he investigates the living and working conditions of the slaves on his plantations. His anecdotal record, the Journal of a West India Proprietor, offers a vivid account of plantation life from the perspective of a 'liberal' slave owner. In addition to this work, he was a novelist, perhaps best known as the author of the popular gothic novel The Monk." (Google)
EDITION POINTS:First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.