COLLECTION DE M. JOHN W. WILSON - 1873
Collection de M. John W. Wilson
(Collection of Mr John W. Wilson)
exhibited at the Gallery of the Artistic and Literary Circle in Brussels, for the City's Destitute Population
Complete. Text in French. Paris: Imprimerie de Jules Claye, 1873.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Custom binding features red leather spine and corners, with gilt and five raised bands on rounded spine.
- Half-bound in leather.
- Volume displays commensurate overall wear and aging, more to exterior.
- Covers are somewhat dusty, and exhibits some edgewear with exposed boards at corners, more to back foot corner and spine foot.
- Front board is gently splitting from textblock from lower edge. (See photos)
- Corners are bumped, with a more significant bump to foot corner of back, that is also chipping. (See photos)
- Spine shows some rubbed patches, as well as a small 0.75" x 0.5" chip to foot end, which is also rubbed.
- Binding is secure overall. Front hinge is fragile.
- Illustrations are well preserved with gentle toning, and are protected with intact tissue guards. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned throughout, with occasional smudges, small spots, and few overall signs of wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Last pages are chipping at foot corner, from page 179 to end. (See photos)
- Textblock edges are deckled and have gilt along head.
190 pages. 10.75 x 14.25 inches.
Custom binding features red leather corners and spine, and gilt lettering on spine. Textblock has head gilt.
Book is lavishly illustrated with B&W reproductions of artworks featuring full captions in French with title of work, name of artist, date of creation, dimensions and general description.
This magnificent collection is presented here divided in various schools. It features some of the most beautiful masterpieces by Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish masters and more. The poetic description that accompanies each work details its mood, the obvious elements that the spectator is expected to catch but also occasionally the deeper meaning of certain objects, characters, and choices of the painter.
PROVENANCE: from the library of noted art dealer Howard Young, with his stamp on front pastedown and gallery's name on foot of spine.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.