CAPTAIN FRACASSE, by Theophile Gautier and A. Mongin - 1900 [Amy Sacker design, 2 vols]
by Theophile Gautier
translated by Ellen Murray Beam
illustrated with etchings by A. Mongin
book design by Amy Sacker
Two volumes. Boston: L.C. Page & Company, 1900
Hardback set is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Purple silk covers are richly decorated and titled in gilt. Covers are bright and mostly clean.
- Boards show some smudges, sunning at shoulders and edges, edgewear. Corners are sharp, a little scuffed. See photos.
- Spines have gilt text and are heavily sunned, with softened, frayed ends. See photos.
- Bindings are secure.
- End papers/ pastedowns are gently age toned.
- Frontispieces are present, with intact tissue guards.
- Illustrations are bright and clear, with captioned tissue guards.
- Interiors are gently age-toned. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have deckle fore and foot edges, gilt along head.
532 pages. 5.25 x 8 inches
Nineteenth century French novel of intrigue and adventure set in the 17th century. Translated into English from the French by Ellen Murray Beam. Illustrated with etchings by A. Mongin, from paintings by Charles Delort.
A very handsome edition issued by L.C. Page and designed by Amy Sacker (1872-1965), Boston-born book designer and teacher. Sacker's monogram is found in the lower corner of the cover design.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore