SERMONS, by Joseph Lathrop - 1809 [5 vols.]
Sermons on Various Subjects, Evangelical, Devotional and Practical
by Joseph Lathrop D.D.
Second edition, five volumes. Worcester and Boston: Isaiah Thomas Jr., 1809-1812
Hardback set is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Full calf covers have blind stamped edges, black spine labels with gilt titles.
- Boards show some wear, smudges, aging, bumps, chips, dings, warping, edgewear. Corners are bumped and frayed, with exposed board.
- Spines have gilt text, dimmed, on black labels with bumped and chipped ends.
- Volume 1: Worcester, 1809. Top right corner front cove is heavily abraded. Front feps missing. Preface pgs. iii-vi detached.
- Volume 2: Worcester, 1809. Ding in front cover. Front fep loose.
- Volume 3: Worcester, 1810. Front fep detached, Table of Contents pages loose.
- Volume 4: MISSING.
- Volume 5: Worcester, 1810. Leather torn on spine; "5" badge effaced. Feps have folds.
- Volume 6: Sermons Delivered on Various Occasions, Boston, 1812. A ding to back cover. Some separation showing at back cover board. See photos for all details.
- Bindings are overall secure; note condition for individual volumes above.
- Pastedowns and feps have some light foxing, staining, folding. Feps are lighter stock than text block.
- Interiors are age-toned, quite dark in places, but text remains very legible. Scattered foxing, some stains.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
4.75 x 8 inches
Collected sermons by Doctor Joseph Lathrop (1731-1820), long-time Pastor at First Congregational Church, West Springfield, Massachusetts. First published in 1807, the first three volumes sold out, leading to this, the Second Edition. In his preface, the author alludes to the preparation of a further volume of Occasional Sermons. Published in 1812, that volume is labelled "6" in the present set. Doctor Lathrop was a popular preacher, and his sermons have long been highly commented upon both in this country and in Europe.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.