DISCOURSES ON THE DOCTRINES OF ATONEMENT & SACRIFICE, by Wm. Magee - 1809 [2 vols]$195.00
Discourses and Dissertations on the Scriptural Doctrines of Atonement & Sacrifice: and on the Principal Arguments Advanced, and the Mode of Reasoning Employed, by the Opponents of those Doctrines as Held by the Established Church
by William Magee
Two Volumes. Dublin: Graisberry & Campbell, 1809.
Hardbacks are overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Volumes display commensurate wear and aging, with fragile covers and a well preserved interior.
- Light brown leather covers feature lines in gilt along borders, as well as gilt dentelle. Dentelle is faded along head edges yet is still bright along most part of edges.
- Boards exhibit overall scuffing and pronounced overall edgewear with rubbing.
- Boards are exposed at corners, which also exhibit bumping.
- Volume 1 shows overall more pronounced wear inside and out than does Volume 2.
- Volume 1:
- has dark areas on front cover along shoulders. (See photos)
- shows frequent staining and foxing inside, including a persistent damp stain at upper edge of center pages. (See photos)
- appears to have lost lower title block.
- Spines feature gilt and red title blocks.
- Spines show overall rubbing, and are very dry with small cracks and chips at ends.
- Front shoulders are cracked along length, with covers still secured by sewing on both volumes. (See photos)
- Volume 2: shoulders on back are rubbed with a little cracking.
- Binding is overall secure throughout textblock in both volumes.
- Volumes feature publisher's ribbon bookmark.
- Interior shows moderate toning in both volumes, with scattered stains and foxing throughout.
- Inside pages show occasional pencil underlinings and notes throughout. (See photos)
- Text block edges feature lovely colored marble design matching endpapers, that shows some fading.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
443 pgs (vol 1) + 180 pgs (vol 2). 5.5 x 8.75 inches.
William Magee was a Church of Ireland Archbishop of Dublin. In 1788 he was elected fellow at the Trinity College in Dublin. The present work is a defense of the principles of atonement and sacrifice as established by the Christian Church. Basing on passages of the Bible and its greatest characters, Magee brilliantly examines the principal arguments of those who oppose these doctrines, and counters them with his own arguments and those of the church.
"A new edition, (...) with large additions." Two volumes. Includes a preface addressed to "the right honourable William Conyngham Plunket", Dean of Christ Church Cathedral and Archbishop of Dublin in the Church of Ireland. Also includes a prefatory address to the students in Divinity in the University of Dublin. Includes an appendix containing an account of the Unitarian Scheme as described by Belsham in his review of Wilberforce's treatise.
William Wilberforce (1759-1833) was a British politician and philanthropist at the head of the movement of abolition of the slave trade.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore