CAMPFIRES OF THE EVERGLADES, C.E. Whitehead -1860 [1st Ed]$100.00
Wild Sports in the South; or, the Campfires of the Everglades
by Charles E. Whitehead
For all lovers of hunting and adventure, and the South with its game and wildlife, here is an entertaining as much as instructive treat on the dangers and excitement of camping in the "Everglades", the wild places of the South, filled with bears, deers, and all the species of birds and fish which are the delight of the Southern hunter. Narrated as an adventure by the main character, written with occasional genuine Southern speech and brought alive as a novel, the story takes the reader to the heart of the life of a camper and hunter in these beautiful regions, as they were in the past of our great country. 424 pages + 4 ads pages. 5.5 x 7.5 inches.
Reading copy only.
Illustrated with black & white engravings by Ehninger, Tait & etc. Publisher ads at end of volume.
Published by: Derby & Jackson, New York, 1860.
Hardback is overall in POOR condition.
- Volume is complete albeit in poor condition with some moderate wear on covers and damaged binding.
- Brown covers are blind-tooled featuring gilt text.
- Boards are partly exposed along edges and show mild to moderate overall fading with edgewear including rubbing and chips.
- Corners are bumped and rubbed with exposed boards, and pronounced fraying.
- Spine piece is missing, replaced with tape with text written in ballpoint pen, and exhibits some dirt from pencil/finger marks.
- Spine ends are frayed with some chipping.
- Binding is broken with detached signatures towards center of volume, and a large split showing cracked and chipped textblock. (See photos)
- Yellow endpapers display moderate toning and aging, with some occasional light marks, and are secured with white tape along hinge, similar to tape on spine.
- Front endpapers feature previous owner signature.
- Frontis features black & white captioned engraving surrounded by some toning, otherwise in good condition.
- Interior is moderately age-toned with loosening at gutter between some pages from delicate binding.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages have light marginal stains, finger/pencil marks/stains, and occasional border creasing and tears. (See photos)
- Text block edges show moderate to pronounced toning with darkening and scuffing along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore