AN ABRIDGMENT OF PENAL STATUTES, by William Addington - 1778$295.00
An Abridgment of Penal Statutes
by William Addington
Title continues: "Which exhibits at one View, in the following Manner, the Offences, Punishments or Penalties, Mode of Recovery, Application of Penalties, & etc., Number of Witnesses, what Justices, the enacting Statutes." This massive volume contains nearly four thousand different articles to which are prefixed observations giving account of the proper exposition of the statutes, and an exhaustive index with references to reports of Sir James Burrows, on cases relative to the conduct of magistrates. Remarkably complete and thorough, this reference book carefully puts together the most diverse and numerous matters under their proper heads. The whole is classified and ordered in tables indicating for each offense, the penalty, the application, the witnesses, and the judges appropriate for the special case. 657 pages + table of contents pages. 9 x 11 inches.
Second Edition. Complete with an index. Ex-libris with bookplate of British politician Sir George Shiffner, 1st Baronet (1762-1842).
Published by: W. Strahan & M. Woodfall, London, 1778.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Leatherbound volume displays moderate expected wear with a detached front cover and overall toning.
- Leather boards are notably worn with overall rubbing and scuffing.
- Covers display pronounced edgewear from rubbing mostly to corners where boards are exposed, and where leather is dry and cracked.
- Spine features remnants of faded gilt text and decorations, with a chip at title.
- Spine ends are cracked with a 0.75" x 0.75" chip to head and a 1" x 1.5" chip to foot. (See photos)
- Front cover is detached and back cover is very loose.
- Textblock is intact with spine piece.
- Front pastedown features bookplate of Sir George Shiffner, first Baronet. (See photos)
- Front feps are detached.
- Title page has signature of author "his name is signed by himself on the title page of every book."
- Interior shows expected age-toning with occasional small stains.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages have creases or small chips to corners. (See photos)
- Text block edges show expected toning with foxing along foot, and darkening along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore