ALMANZAR EVARTS, HERO J.Frank Davis 1925 SIGNED African Black Americana Novel$145.00
Almanzar Evarts, Hero
by J. Frank Davis
Early 20th century African-American literature.
"Almanzar was a modern young negro. He had been through grammar school. He read quite fluently, skipping the too long and too unfamiliar words, and wrote with fair facility considering how seldom he needed to do it. He was proud of being distinctly up-to-date, and among other young negroes, sometimes inclined, in the bright light of day, to pose as skeptical of the ancient folk beliefs..."
"Never before in all his life had he associated the phrases of a hymn with nay practical matter outside of church and sundays, but as these new words mingled with his retrospections he sensed an application of them to what had befallen him. They gave him, as all hymns ought, consolation -- and hope. The day had not been all dark; he especially remembered how pleasantly Mr. Smith's glasses had tinkled as they broke. He had lost a girl, to be sure, but girls -- His voice raised a little as he cheerful sang: Whe' eveh dooty's bannehs wave, Stand eveh fuhm; be eveh brave! Feah not the loss of frien's of yoah, Foh Heaven will send you moah an' moah." 163 pages. 5.5" by 7.75".
Signed and Inscribed. Illustrated by John Bob Payne.
Published by: J.W. Burke Company, Georgia. 1925.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Signed with inscription.
- Red cloth boards feature illustration.
- Area of boards are sunned with smaller portion retaining color.
- Some soiling to rear board.
- Spine is sunned with head lightly bumped.
- Features frontispiece.
- Upper portion of hinge is cracked with webbing.
- Rear pastedown shows small tears along top portion of hinge.
- Interior is clean.
- Binding is tight.
- No writing, highlighting, underlining or other intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookbotique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks
- When you buy from us, we would greatly appreciate positive feedback to add to our ratings! Thank you in advance!
- We encourage you to contact us with any questions! We also welcome additional information on any of our listings.
- Other shipping options may be available. Please contact us for more details and information. Pickup is also welcome!
- Orders ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment, unless otherwise notified. Payment is due within 2 days of auction end to guarantee availability and price.
- International Buyers: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges; these charges are the BUYER's responsibility. FULL VALUE will be declared on all overseas items.
- If your order hasn't arrived, or isn't as described, please contact us and we'll work with you to find a satisfactory resolution!
Launched from my store - Powered by Highwire.com