A SYSTEM OF GEOMETRY AND TRIGONOMETRY, by Abel Flint - 1808 *Provenance*
A System of Geometry and Trigonometry: Together with a Treatise on Surveying; Teaching Various Ways of Taking the Survey of A Field; Also to Protract the Same and Find the Area
by Abel Flint
Second Edition. Hartford: Oliver D. Cooke, 1808.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume shows commensurate wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Covers display pronounced edgewear and rubbing. Some indentations are visible on various areas of boards.
- Spine has title block and gilt. The whole of the spine is notably faded, with rubbing along shoulders. Leather is splitting along lower half of front shoulder.
- Spine ends are chipped. Head of spine has separated 1/4" tear across width, and is about to fall off from head. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure. Hinges are a little fragile.
- Ex Libris bookplate on front pastedown. Marked No 1002. (See photos)
- Additional worksheets had been bound between front pages, with sewing remnants still visible. Worksheets remain bound together with threads and are stored as bound. (See photos)
- Fold-out diagrams at end of book are fragile and exhibit edgewear with creases and tears all along borders that protrude from textblock. Diagrams are also toned and foxed, with some split folds and general staining. (See photos)
- Interior is toned with scattered foxing throughout, as well as occasional stains.
- Some pages display edgewear such as corner creases, and occasionally show minimal pencil writing.
- Text block edges are foxed and stained, and dusty along head and foot.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
168 pages. 5.25 x 8.5 inches.
Title continues: "Likewise, Rectangular Surveying; or, an Accurate Method of Calculating the Area of Any Field Arithmetically, Without the Necessity of Plotting it. To the whole are added several Mathematical Tables, necessary for solving Questions in Trigonometry and Surveying; with a particular explanation of those Tables, and the manner of using them." Divided in three main parts this volume deals with: geometry, trigonometry, and the surveying of land, allowing it to be measured, laid out and divided. It explains, in cases and problems, all the ways of measuring, with rods and chains, that were commonly used at the author's time.
Includes worksheets. Includes maps in appendix, showing the common geometrical figures and their use insurveying. Appendix also includes traverse tables, tables of logarithms and more.
EPHEMERA: Worksheets dated 1824 containing notes with hand-drawn geometrical figures. Threads sewn in first pages show they were at one point carefully bound in book.
PROVENANCE: Ex Libris from the library of Frank Dewitt Andrews (1847-1937), the wealthy owner of a prosperous estate farm and a lifelong passionate scholar of geology, genealogy, numismatics, philatelics, ancient history and Indian relics. He is the author of a book on numismatics, as well as dozens of books and pamphlets written for the Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society, of which he became the secretary and treasurer. Back fep includes an ink owner's sig, predating the Andrews bookplate.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.