UNCLE SILAS: A TALE OF BARTRAM-HAUGH, by J. Sheridan Le Fanu - 1926 [Scarce DJ]
A Tale of Bartram-Haugh
by J. Sheridan Le Fanu
The World's Classics 306. London: Humphrey Milford. Oxford University Press, 1926
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with a GOOD DJ under Mylar.
- Olive superfine cloth covers are mostly clean, with tooled border and gilt on spine. Boards show some edgewear. Corners are bumped. See photos.
- Spine has gilt, tooled, ornament and text and is dimmed with crushed ends.
- Binding is secure.
- End papers/ pastedowns show gentle age toning. See photos.
- Red ribbon page marker is intact.
- Interior is gently age toned. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have a few marks. See photos.
- Scarce DJ is nicely preserved behind Mylar.
- DJ, white paper with illustration, ornament and text in blue ink is age darkened. Edgewear and bumping, chipped corners, chip at spine head and large chip at spine foot. See photos.
441 pages. 3.75 x 6 inches
Uncle Silas, subtitled "A Tale of Bartram Haugh", is an 1864 Victorian Gothic mystery-thriller
novel by the Irish writer J. Sheridan Le Fanu (1814-1873). It is an early example of the locked-room mystery, and it shows a strong interest in the occult and in the ideas of Emanuel Swedenborg, a Swedish scientist, philosopher and Christian mystic. Like many of Le Fanu's novels, Uncle Silas grew out of an earlier short story, in this case "A Passage in the Secret History of an Irish Countess" (1839), also published as "The Murdered Cousin" in the collection Ghost Stories and Tales of Mystery (1851).[Wiki]
This edition is Oxford University Press's The World's Classics, vol. 306. This "vest pocket" series featured easy to carry volumes, covered with thin boards, printed in large type on thin opaque paper. They offered high quality at an affordable price. This copy is distinguished by its original DJ and overall very good condition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore