THIRD WARD NEWARK, by Curtis Lucas - 1946 [1st Ed]
Third Ward Newark
by Curtis Lucas
FIRST EDITION. Chicago, New York: Ziff Davis Publishing Company, 1946.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays commensurate overall aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Brown covers feature black text on front, and show rubbing and some stains to corners, as well as bumping.
- Boards are exposed at some areas along edges, showing overall moderate wear.
- Spine has black text and is faded, a little darkened, and has softened ends.
- Binding has a little play, is overall secure and is a little free at hinges.
- Front endpaper has a dark marker lines along head edge. (See photos)
- Interior is minimally age-toned, with a light stain on pages 156-157. (See enhanced photo)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are foxed yet toning is minor.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
238 pages. 5.5 x 8.25 inches.
The novel that made Newark's rich tradition of crime fiction take off in the 1940s. Third Ward Newark is a significant piece of literature on the subject of racial discrimination and violence. Curtis Lucas was an African-American writer who often used true crime as the basis for his novels on miscegenation.
Trigger Warning: Book depicts scenes of violence against women.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore