THE TRAVELS OF MIRZA ABU TALEB KHAN IN ASIA, AFRICA, AND EUROPE - 1810 [1st Edition]
The Travels of Mirza Abu Taleb Khan in Asia, Africa, and Europe, During the Years 1799 - 1803
Translated by Charles Stewart
First Edition. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme, 1810.
Hardbacks are overall in GOOD condition.
- Two volume set.
- Leather bound spines.
- Boards show signs of age, marbled paper peeling in several spots, scuffing throughout, and edgewear. Corners are bumped and scuffed with boards exposed. (Please see photos)
- Spines have gilt text and are darkened with chipped ends.
- Binding is secure. However, front and back hinges are cracked on both volumes. (Please see photo)
- Ex libris books feature an owner's bookplate on both front pastedowns.
- Frontispiece is present in volume one and is lightly foxed.
- Interiors are gently age-toned with scattered light/moderate foxing.
- Occasional writing in pencil in both volumes. (Please see photos)
320 & 418 pages. 5.5X8.5 inches.
"In 1810, the orientalist scholar Charles Stewart translated and published an extraordinary travel narrative written by a Persian-speaking Indian poet and scholar named Mirza Abu Talib Khan. At the turn of the century, Abu Talib travelled from India to Africa, and on to Ireland, England, and France, where he recorded his observations of European culture with wit and precision. The narrative’s vital and controversial account of British imperial society is one of the earliest examples of a colonial subject addressing the cultural dynamics of metropolitan Britain, and its complex critique of empire challenges many preconceptions about intercultural relations during this era. Following his European sojourn, Abu Talib’s remarkable Shi'ite pilgrimage through present day Turkey and Iraq further enhances his meditation on the encounter between Islam and European modernity." (Google)
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.