THE STEREOGRAPH AND THE STEREOSCOPE, by Albert E. Osborne - 1909 [Signed 1st Ed]$650.00
THE STEREOGRAPH AND THE STEREOSCOPE, by Albert E. Osborne - 1909 [Signed 1st Ed]
The Stereograph and the Stereoscope with Special Maps and Books forming a Special Travel System
by Albert E. Osborne
SIGNED, FIRST EDITION. The stereoscope with its stereograph images offered the first opportunity for individuals to view distant places from a dimensional aspect. Osborne first experienced this as a child and it excited his passion and curiosity. This book examines the impact of the stereoscope, and by extension photography and any captured images, on our culture, society, linguistics, psychology, religion and aesthetics. Includes information on the development of the stereoscope, as well as production and application of the stereograph for both artistic and practical purposes. Includes diagrams and formulae. 284 pages with index. 5.25" by 7.5".
Inscribed on front fly leaf: "Compliments of Albert E. Osborne"
Published by Underwood & Underwood. New York, NY. 1909.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Covers and interior exhibit commensurate signs of aging and wear. Well read, yet treated with care.
- Covers have bumped corners, minimal rubbing to edges, as well as light but expected scuffs and marks.
- Spine features gilt title, sun-darkened with some fading to gilt, and softened spine ends.
- Binding is firm and secure.
- Pastedowns are notably age-toned with some staining and foxing.
- Front pastedown bears author's signature and partially erased pencil in top corners. Please see photos.
- Interior is gently toned with darker margins, and minimal scattered foxing throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing, highlighting, underlining or other intentional marks.
- Text block edges are dusty with some distinct foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
"I remember well the first time I saw a stereoscope and stereographs. It was at the home of an uncle in northeastern Pennsylvania, when I was less than ten years Of age. The experiences I then had I have never forgotten. I seemed let out to the ends Of the earth. I had never traveled, but I had dreamed of visiting the great world of which I had heard, and now something that had happened only in fairy story Or by Arabian magic seemed a real possibility. For this clearly was not magic nor mere make-believe. I was taken out to no world Of fancy, but to the world of fact." (from author's intro)
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
- When you buy from us, we would greatly appreciate positive feedback to add to our ratings! Thank you in advance!
- We encourage you to contact us with any questions! We also welcome additional information on any of our listings.
- Other shipping options may be available. Please contact us for more details and information. Pickup is also welcome!
- Orders ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment, unless otherwise notified. Payment is due within 2 days of auction end to guarantee availability and price.
- International Buyers: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges; these charges are the BUYER's responsibility. FULL VALUE will be declared on all overseas items.
- If your order hasn't arrived, or isn't as described, please contact us and we'll work with you to find a satisfactory resolution!
Launched from my store - Powered by Highwire.com