SKETCHES IN ARCHITECTURE + SIX DESIGNS, by John Soane & G.J. Parkyns - 1793$5,995.00
Sketches in Architecture containing Plans and Elevations of Cottages, Villas and other useful Buildings with characteristic Scenery
by John Soane
Six Designs for Improving and Embellishing Grounds
by G.J. Parkyns
In this amazing antiquarian edition are put together in one volume, two works of tremendous importance and worth in the domain of 18th century architecture. Showing, by means of the magnificent black & white plates which are present throughout the book, the plans and external appearance of many buildings, from cottages and villas to greater constructions. This edition features detailed explanations for all the plates, and continues on to the second work, by a different author but by the same publisher, which presents elaborate written descriptions of estates. A gem among antiquarian as well as architectural books. Pages not numbered. 12 x 17.75 inches.
ALL PLATES PRESENT, and pages complete. A unique and scarce antique elephant folio, remarkable in presentation as well as content.
Two works bound in one. First work is illustrated with 43 engraved plates, of which 26 are aquatint perspective views, the rest engraved plates. Second work contains 11 engraved plates. Includes a detailed explanation of all the plates at the beginning. Second work has written descriptions of buildings in addition to plates.
Published by: Taylor & Holborn, London, 1793.
Hardback is overall in FAIR- condition.
- Volume is in fair- condition with shattered binding and detached cover.
- Covers display severe wear from overall rubbing with prominent exposed boards, and cracking along shoulders which show remnants of black binding tape.
- Edges are severely bumped and rubbed with chipping all along edges.
- Spinepiece is gone showing cracked and dry textblock with chips.
- Binding is cracked and broken, with several detached signatures, a detached front cover and title page, with some single detached pages/feps, and exhibits gaps where gutter still holds together. (See photos)
- Gutter is damaged at first plates where pages are partially detached and exhibit a tear along gutter. (See photos)
- Interior is notably aged and worn with strong overall toning, foxing and occasional damp staining.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages show severe edgewear, and repeatedly display edge tears, chips and creases.
- Expected age-warping visible along page edges.
- Text block edges are deckled and display age-toning as present throughout book.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.