SALLY, DICK AND JANE "Our Big Book" [Set of 16 Cards] - c.1950
Sally, Dick, and Jane
original story and characters by William S. Gray and Zerna Sharp
illustrations of Eleanor Campbell and Keith Ward
Dick and Jane were the staples of educational readers in the early to mid twentieth century. A colorful guide to learning how to read for young children, some of the entertaining adventures of the three characters Sally, Dick and Jane are here gathered in 16 nicely illustrated cards. Their size is indicative of being used by teachers in front of a class of students. Originally used to teach reading in the 1920s through to the 1950s, these readers were a staple for the baby-boomer generation, and are a piece of educational history. 18 pages (Sally, Dick, and Jane set) + 6 pages (The Think-and-Do Book set) + 8 pages (Fun with Our Family set). 20.5 x 19.25 inches.
16 cards with black & white and full-color illustrations. Nine color cards from the Sally, Dick, and Jane set, three black & white cards from The Think-and-Do Book set, and four color cards from the Fun with Our Family set.
Published by: Scott Foresman, Chicago, IL, circa 1950
Cards are overall in GOOD condition.
- Cards are in overall good condition with general edgewear and toning.
- Color illustrated covers show expected aging from toning, creases and scuffs.
- Front cover displays scuffing and rubbing near lower right corner, as well as a large 7" crease to lower right corner. (See photos)
- All corners of covers show pronounced creasing and rubbing.
- Back cover exhibits severe wear from toning and scuffs, as well as a damp stain all along upper edge with gray staining from humidity. (See photos)
- All pages are loose. No apparent evidence of binding.
- Cards show steady edgewear mostly along head, with damp staining, gray staining from humidity, and corner as well as edge creases and closed tears.
- Some cards exhibit more pronounced edgewear from damp staining, as card 16, or from vertical closed tears along edges, as card 15. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.