REPORT OF THE EXPLORING EXPEDITION TO THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS...OREGON AND NORTH CARIFORNIA, by Capt JC Fremont - 1845
Report of the Exploring Expedition to the Rocky Mountains in The Year 1842, and to Oregon and North California in the Years 1843-'44
by Brevet Captain J.C. Fremont
Presumed First Edition. Published by: Gales and Seaton, Printers, Washington, 1845. 693 pages. 6 x 9 inches.
Senate Version. Lavishly illustrated with 26 beautiful B&W plates as well as four maps, among which two are fold-outs. Does not include the additional Preuss map. Includes tables of astronomical observations in appendix.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall good condition with moderate expected aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Repaired with brown tape replacing halfbound leather, with a very tidy exterior but a little uneven on pastedowns.
- Covers feature handsome colored marble design and display overall rubbing, scuffs, fading and edgewear with chips and exposed boards on some areas.
- Corners of back cover are mildly bumped, and expose board.
- Spine is well-preserved and shows some fading and white staining along shoulders, as well as minor rubbing to foot.
- Binding is overall secure with cracking at hinges. (See photos)
- Plates show general toning and marginal staining, with occasional strong foxing on some of them. Maps are in well-preserved condition. (See photos)
- Front pastedown displays ink signature from previous owner.
- Endpapers are toned with foxing, light stains, and shadows near tape overlap.
- Interior exhibits expected toning and frequent marginal staining, as well as foxing on some pages.
- Pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages display small chips, scuffs and tears along gutter. First section title page has been mended with tape at gutter. (See photos)
- Front feps are severely foxed and stained, and display some edgewear along lower half of fore edge, as well as a residue along upper edge.
- Textblock edges display expected toning and darkening.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
A splendid account of the travels of exploration made in the 19th century in America. Some of the most beautiful regions of the New World were explored during these expeditions in the wild landscapes of the Rocky Mountains, as well as those of the states of Oregon and North California, and the reports made by the explorers are not only a guide to the discovery of these places as they were when still untamed, but also, and mostly, a guide to their intricate history as some of the last uncharted territories in America. Written as a travel journal with accurate dates and daily anecdotes, the volume is a remarkable record of the expedition, including scientific observations, geographical landmarks, the magnificent description of the places encountered by the travelers, and overall a superb journey into the past of our country.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.