LIPPINCOTT'S PRONOUNCING GAZETTEER - 1856 [Historic Inscription]
Lippincott's Pronouncing Gazetteer of the World
edited by J. Thomas and T. Baldwin
Title reads: "A Complete Pronouncing Gazetteer, or Geographical Dictionary, of the World. Containing a Notice and the Pronunciation of the Names of nearly One Hundred Thousand Places. With the most Recent and Authentic Information respecting the Countries, Islands, Rivers, Mountains, Cities, Towns, &c. in Every Portion of the Globe. Including the Latest and Most Reliable Statistics of Population, Commerce, Etc. Also, a Complete Etymological Vocabulary of Geographical Names, and Many Other Valuable Features, to be Found in no other Gazetteer in the English Language." Thus goes the title of this remarkable volume, which puts together the most famous place names in the world, giving for each of them, its pronunciation, precise location,and outstanding particularities. Comprising every name from towns and cities to rivers and other natural places as well as schools and educational institutions, this is an invaluable reference guide to the geography and history of the world. 2182 pages. 6.75 x 10 inches.
Contains a historical inscription from the superintendent of The Barren School of the Union Township of Hunterdon County, NJ, John Blane. Includes pages of historical advertisement for the Lippincott dictionary. Contains an etymological vocabulary and an appendix.
Published by: J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1856.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall good condition with pronounced rubbing and scuffing to covers and moderate toning inside.
- Leather covers show pronounced scuffing, rubbing and fading, with considerable edgewear from scuffing and chipping, mostly to fore edge of front, which also displays a pink stain. (See photos)
- Both covers feature blind-tooled text.
- Corners are bumped with severe chipping to both upper corners.
- Spine features red title block with gilt text and six raised bands.
- Spine ends are rubbed and softened.
- Binding is overall secure.
- Front fep displays a historical inscription from Hunterdon County's John Blane, Superintendent of The Barren School District of Union Township, NJ. (See photos)
- Facing inscription page is a detached page showing blue scribbles.
- Interior is toned with scattered foxing throughout with the exception of some pages.
- Inside pages are otherwise free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages display corner creases. (See photos)
- Text block edges have faded marble decoration, and show notable toning and some stains, including an ink stain on lower corner of fore edge.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore