LE MERVEILLEUX DANS LE JANSENISME, ETC., by Hippolyte Blanc - 1865 [1st Ed]
Le Merveilleux dans le Jansenisme, le Magnetisme, le Methodisme et le Baptisme Americains, l'Epidemie de Morzine, le Spiritisme: Recherches Nouvelles
by Hippolyte Blanc
FIRST EDITION. Text in French. Paris: Henri Plon, 1865.
Softback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Antiquarian binding features light blue covers with black filigree around text.
- Volume shows commensurate wear with a fragile binding and gentle aging to interior, with overall rubbing to covers and scattered foxing inside.
- Wraps display significant edgewear, with creasing and chipping. Fore edge of back cover is particularly chipped, while foot corner of front has notable crease, 4" across from corner. (See photos)
- Binding is fragile. Front wrap is partially detached, while back cover hangs on by head part. (See photos)
- Front shoulder displays some darkening and a small horizontal tear.
- Spine features black text and filigree, and is crackled along length with parts gone. Spine piece shows overall darkening.
- Interior exhibits gentle to minor age-toning, with scattered foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Page 290 exhibits a chip with closed tear extending to lower edge, total .75 inch. (See photo)
- Some pages in the 200s display more pronounced toning and light edgewear.
- Page preceding first page of text is missing, and has been torn off at gutter. (See photos)
- Textblock edges are deckled, and are darkened along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
445 pages. 5.75 x 9 inches.
This volume explores some of the most intriguing phenomenons in the history of medicine, attempting to explain their origins and causes. The author deals with several singular epidemics and convulsions that affected specific groups of people. It involves religious groups as well as local groups, as in the case of the Morzine epidemic, which affected the population of the commune of Morzine in Haute-Savoie. The volume constitutes not only a thorough and scholarly medical reference, but also a valuable study of some "supernatural" phenomenons not usually acknowledged by regular scientific studies.
Includes an introduction and an appendix with detailed observations of specific phenomenons. Also includes a bibliography.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore