IN PRAISE OF IDLENESS & OTHER ESSAYS, by Bertrand Russell - 1935 [Signed 1st Ed]$975.00
In Praise of Idleness and Other Essays
by Bertrand Russell
SIGNED Presumed First Edition. New York: WW Norton & Company, Inc., 1935.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays overall commensurate light wear and aging.
- Gray cloth covers exhibit mild overall aging, with some more pronounced toning along edges.
- Boards display fair edgewear with mild rubbing, more to corners.
- Spine has white label with faded title. Label is worn around edges, with some chips to head and left edge, that barely affect text.
- Spine ends are frayed and softened.
- Binding is overall secure throughout. Pages 96-97 show light gapping at the gutter.
- Front endpaper facing pastedown features scarce signature of author. (See photos)
- Back pastedown has some damp staining along head edge, descending 0.25" to 0.5" from edge. (See photos)
- Interior is gently toned with minor marginal foxing to first pages. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display some foxing. Fore edge and foot are deckled, with visible perforations along fore edge. Head edge shows faded ink.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
270 pages. 5.75 x 8.5 inches.
Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell, OM, FRS (1872-1970) was a British philosopher, logician, mathematician, historian, writer, essayist, social critic, political activist, and Nobel laureate. [Wikipedia] Having led the British "revolt against idealism" at the beginning of the 20th century, he is considered one of the founder of analytical philosophy. He was an ardent anti-war activist, and a champion of anti-imperialism, as well as an advocate of preventive nuclear war, even though his pacifism led him to be imprisoned during the First World War. He was a proponent of nuclear disarmament, who attacked the involvement of the United States into the Vietnam War. In 1950 he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature "in recognition of his varied and significant writings in which he champions humanitarian ideals and freedom of thought."
Includes a preface.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore