HANDBOOK OF THE LICK OBSERVATORY, by Edward S. Holden - 1888 [1st Ed]
Hand-Book of the Lick Observatory
by Edward S. Holden
The complete, detailed description of the Californian observatory by its Director. With a historical introduction on the laboratory and its creator, a detailed description of its various rooms and the function which they serve, as well as the instruments which they contain. The black & white illustrations show the most important instruments, and some of the panorama of the surroundings. The description is made complete with a documentary on telescopes, the work of an observatory and astronomical photography, to which are added poetry pages, an index, and advertisement pages. A treasure for astronomy and science libraries. 135 pages + 9 ad pages. 4.5 x 6.5 inches.
FIRST EDITION. With black & white illustrations. With an index and advertisement pages at end of volume.
Published by: The Bancroft Company, San Francisco, 1888.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Volume is in overall good+ condition with moderate wear to covers and loose binding.
- Red heavy card covers have textblock with title and bookseller ink stamp on front.
- Boards show some edgewear from rubbing and mild overall scuffing.
- Corners are rounded, and exhibit light rubbing.
- Cloth partially coming off at lower left corner on back.
- Spine has rubbed ends with chips, and shows strong overall rubbing with remnants of textblock.
- Perfect binding is loose with mild to pronounced gaps between pages at gutter. (See photos)
- Endpapers feature handsome black & white flowery design, and are mildly worn with some toning and scarce tears at hinge.
- Interior is gently age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages are stamped from a previous owner. (See photos)
- Text block edges are darkened and toned with minor scuffing to front edge.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.