GAME OF DRAW-POKER, MATHEMATICALLY ILLUSTRATED, by Winterblossom - 1875 [1st Ed]$1,500.00
Game Of Draw-Poker, Mathematically Illustrated
Being a Complete Treatise on the Game, Giving the Prospective Value of Each Hand Before and After the Draw, and the True Method of Discarding and Drawing, With a Thorough Analysis and Insight of the Game as Played at the Present Day by Gentlemen.
by Henry T. WinterblossomHere we offer a First Edition of the First American book on poker strategy.
Published by: William H. Murphy, New York, 1875.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Green cloth over board features gilt on front cover, and blind tooling front and back.
- Rounded spine has crushed ends.
- Covers show some edgewear with a little exposed board on front corners, with some light scuffing, with white as well as black spots.
- Most notable fault is some damp staining: severe to front, affecting black ink design, with slight overlap to title gilt. Dampstain affects interior margins to varying degrees, and fades some at center of text. Front board also has a slight warp to it.
- Binding is strong and tight.
- Pages are age-toned, with the above-mentioned stain at perimeters.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
According to the news of the day, the popularity of poker was growing rapidly enough that a New York Times article wondered if this card game might not replace baseball as the country's national sport. While that has yet to happen, there's no doubt that the game's popularity has only increased.
As the first full length book on poker strategy in America, the author focuses on the classic five card draw, sharing the math behind the game as well as ethics and etiquette. Internet sites are inclined to value the book for what it reveals about poker culture, but also indicate that the math remains solid. This book was written before the introduction of community cards, as used in Texas Hold ‘em.
Written under a pseudonym, the author is careful to offer his advice as a way to lessen the nefarious nature of poker--so that it becomes more a game of strategy than mere gambling. From the book:
"All games of chance create a morbid appetite in those who indulge in them, in proportion to their ignorance of the mathematical basis upon which those games are constructed."
"In other words, not knowing the math makes poker an even more dangerous recreation than it already might be. In this way does Winterblossom position himself as promoting something positive with his book." (From the folks at PokerNews, in their Poker & Pop Culture section.)
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore