ENSEIGNES: RENAISSANCE HAT JEWELS, by Yvonne Hackenbroch - 1996 [1st ed., DJ]
Enseignes: Renaissance Hat Jewels
by Yvonne Hackenbroch
First edition. Florence: Studio per Edizioni Scelte (S.P.E.S), 1996
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with a VERY GOOD DJ.
- Gold silk covers are mostly clean, with black text.
- Boards show some marks and stains at head edge, edgewear. Corners are bumped.
- Spine has black text and is bright with bumped ends.
- Binding is strong.
- Custom, illustrated end papers/ pastedowns show little to no sign of age or wear.
- Ephemera includes a note signed by the author, publisher correspondence, et al.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior exhibits marginal toning. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Illustrated DJ has some edgewear, chipped corners, closed tears along foot edge, bumping along head edge, some staining to back. See photos.
395 pages. 8.25 x 11.75 inches
The enseigne, a symbol of faith and distinction, was the most widespread masculine adornment of the early Renaissance period. Not many have survived the centuries, although they are well known from portraits of the period. In this lavishly illustrated volume, Yvonne Hackenbroch (1912-2012), long recognized as the pre-eminent expert on Renaissance jewelry, examines this distinctive piece of personal adornment. The courts and royal houses of Europe are covered geographically.
Ephemera, including a notecard signed by the author, connect this volume to her.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore