EAST OF THE SUN AND WEST OF THE MOON, illustrated by Kay Nielsen - 1914 [First Edition]
East of the Sun and West of the Moon: Old Tales from the North
illustrated by Kay Nielsen
First edition. London: Hodder and Stoughton Limited, 1914
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Boards in yellow cloth show some smudges, edgewear. Corners are sharp.
- Spine has black text and is bright with bumped ends.
- Binding is rebound. Please see photos for condition.
- Feps have some light foxing, a gift inscription.
- Frontispiece is present.
- Illustrations are bright and clear, plates are tipped-in.
- Plate is missing at page 237 (one of twenty-four).
- Interior is gently age-toned, shows some marginal toning, some smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
284 pages. 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
A beautiful book housed in pedestrian covers. In addition to Kay Nielsen's color plates, produced with four-color process (novel in 1914), the text is accompanied by black ink illustrations and printed ornaments. One plate is missing of the original twenty-four.
Kay Rasmus Nielsen (1886-1957) was a Danish-born illustrator whose Art Nouveau pictures are evoke the atmosphere and spirit world of the Norse tales collected in this volume.
Made and Printed in Great Britain by Wyman & Sons Ltd. London, Reading and Fakenham. Illustrations in color printed by Henry Stone & Son, Ltd., Banbury.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore