CHINESE PAINTING, by John C. Ferguson - 1927 [First Edition]
by John C. Ferguson
First edition. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1927
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Boards covered in black cloth with gilt text and illustration show some wear, stains, edgewear. Corners are frayed.
- Spine has gilt text and is sunned, with crushed and frayed ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Pastedowns and feps are age toned, have some light foxing, staining at gutter, bookseller's badge inside back cover.
- Illustrations are clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have deckle fore and foot edges.
199 pages. 8 x 11 inches.
Scholarly monograph devoted to Chinese painting by John C Ferguson. Ferguson(1866–1945) was an American scholar of Chinese art, collector and procurer for American art museums, and a Chinese governmental adviser who spent most of his adult life in China. In his Introduction to Chinese Painting, Ferguson wrote, "Although handicapped by birth in an alien country, ... the present author has had the rare opportunity, during a residence of thirty-five years in China, of association with practically all of the connoisseurs and critics of his day, who have been faithful guides in the examination of extant specimens of writing and painting and skilful(sic) teachers in the accumulated literature which discusses these twin-sister arts."
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore