THE PORTRAIT DRAWINGS OF WILLIAM ROTHENSTEIN, by John Rothenstein 1927 Art Rare
The Portrait Drawings of William Rothenstein
by John Rothenstein
Includes an iconography by John Rothenstein with a preface by Max Beerbohm along with 101 collotype plates. The first section of the book lists the portraits by year and includes a brief description, subjects include the artist's wife, Max Beerbohm, George Bernard Shaw, a self portrait and many more. Some portraits are full page, others two to a page.
121 pages with index followed by plates. 10.5" by 13.5"
Very scarce! Limited edition of 520 copies of which 500 were for sale, this copy is hand-numbered as 229. New York: Viking Press, 1927.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Black cloth boards show gilt on front and spine
- Filled with b&w plates
- No gift inscription or any other ownership marks
- Interior is free of any writing, underlining, highlighting or other intentional marks
- Binding is secure
- Corners are bumped and scuffed
- Shoulders, head and tail of spine are scuffed
- Some light scratches and a 1" by .25" blue smudge to bottom front
- Two creases to upper right of front
- Pages are a bit darkened
- Two plates are mostly detatched from binding except for bottom inch
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.