A SHORT BUT COMPREHENSIVE SYSTEM OF THE GEOGRAPHY OF THE WORLD, by Nathaniel Dwight - 1796
Old, well-used and well-kept, with commensurate wear and aging. Please see description and photos for more details.
A SHORT BUT COMPREHENSIVE SYSTEM OF THE GEOGRAPHY OF THE WORLD, by N Dwight 1796
A Short But Comprehensive System of the Geography of the World
by Nathaniel Dwight
The subtitle continues, "By way of question and answer, principally designed for children and common schools."
A scarce very early CT edition of this popular textbook, that was printed in many states and editions through at least 1817. It was the second well-used American geography book authored by an American about his own country, and the first to break away from standards set by British writers and be truly American.
Inexpensively produced schoolbook, with quarterbound leather and paper over boards with rounded corners. 221 pages. 4" by 6.75"
Stated 2nd edition, published by the same house as the first edition: Hudson & Goodwin, Hartford, CN. 1796.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Quarter bound in leather and paper over boards.
- Text is legible.
- Binding is secure.
- Boards are well scuffed and soiled with chips and paper peeling off at edges.
- Spine is well scuffed.
- Signatures, writing and doodles in ink on front pastedown, ffep and rfep.
- Ffep is missing some paper at top and lower right corner.
- Last four pages are loose but still attached.
- Page five shows 1" tear at right edge.
- Page 151 shows a 1" tear at right edge, page 149 shows .5" tear at same spot.
- Pages are darkened and some show light stains.
- Top corner of some pages are creased.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.