TYPOGRAPHICA, Spencer 1960 journal #1 UK Royal Arms ads Kafka illustrations
Typographica, no. 1
edited by Herbert Spencer
First issue of a new series on typography in the various domains of its use. An exceptional, detailed and comprehensive guide to this special form of art, the issue contains examples of wood engraving, photography, drawings, numerals, advertisements, etc. Each section is documented with captions and texts about the artists whose works are shown, each by a different author. An important first section is devoted to the documentation on British Royal Arms, furnished with many pictorial examples. Also, Yosl Bergner's drawings to Kafka, photograms and a history of numbers. 64 pages. 8.25 x 10.75 inches.
First issue of the New Series. Lavishly illustrated with black & white photographs, drawings, advertisements, and reproductions of engravings.
Published by: Lund Humphries, London, 1960.
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with a VERY GOOD DJ.
- Volume is in overall very good+ condition with minor wear inside and on wraps.
- Color illustrated wraps feature handsome monochrome orange reproduction of a British Royal Arms engraving.
- Wraps are mostly clean and show minimal edgewear from toning and rubbing, as well as minimal foxing and a light pencil stain on back shoulder.
- Corners display minor bumping and rubbing mostly to back, with a slight crease at lower left corner on front.
- Spine is minimally toned, and exhibits a small stain near head.
- Spine ends are lightly rubbed and frayed.
- Binding is a little fragile, with some partially loosened signatures. (See photos)
- Verso of front cover show mild toning as well as a residue, probably from a torn sticker. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned with occasional edge toning and foxing, as well as a persistent bump to upper corner inside.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges show moderate toning and foxing that is more pronounced along head.
- DJ is in very good condition with some mild to moderate edge wear from rubbing, closed tears, and chipping mostly along upper edges, as well as chipping of spine ends.
- DJ exhibits some staining in upper half of back cover. (See photos)
- Spine is faded with rubbed shoulders on DJ.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore