THE VALUABLE ART COLLECTION OF JOHN T. MARTIN - 1909 [Ltd Ed]
De Luxe Illustrated Catalogue of Valuable Paintings by the Barbizon Artists and Other Great Modern Masters, Sculpture and Other Art Property, Forming the Private Collection of the Late John T. Martin
Catalog of the Public Sale carried out on April 15th and 16th, 1909 at Mendelssohn Hall, on the Order of W.R.H. Martin and F.B. Martin, Executors
Sale conducted by Thomas E. Kirby
LIMITED EDITION, No. 38 of 125 Copies. Subscriber's Copy. New York: The American Art Association, 1909.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Custom binding features red leather to corners and rounded spine, that also has gilt and five raised bands.
- Half-bound in leather.
- Volume displays gentle commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit gentle overall edgewear, with some exposed board at head corner on front.
- Boards show a little dust, scarce light rubbing along shoulders, and some more pronounced rubbing to edges near head corner on back. (See photos)
- Corners are gently bumped.
- Spine displays gentle overall rubbing.
- Binding is secure and strong throughout.
- List of prices on back pastedown.
- Illustrations are well preserved with gentle toning, and show little other evidence of aging. (See photos)
- Pencil notes visible in margins and along title are presumably Howard Young's own notes, detailing title of piece, its buyer and the realized price. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned and is well preserved throughout, with rare smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show gentle commensurate toning with some dust and a fingerprint along head, and some remaining evidence of former tinting.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Pages not numbered. 118 plates. 9.75 x 12.75 inches.
Custom binding features red leather corners and red leather rounded spine, that also features gilt and five raised bands.
Catalog is lavishly illustrated with full-page B&W reproductions of artworks with full captions.
The sale catalog of the splendid collection of John T. Martin of New York is a treasure to an art books collector's library. Each work is presented with full caption detailing title, name of artist, date of creation, dimensions, and a general description of the work. The collection widely spans the full length of the 19th century, as well as various schools including the French, Dutch, Italian and German. It additionally features sculptures and other artifacts such as antique vases, all with full captions.
PROVENANCE: from the library of noted art dealer Howard Young. Book is specifically bound for the Howard Young Galleries, with stamp on head corner of front pastedown, and name of galleries in gilt on foot of spine.
EDITION POINTS: Limited Edition, No. 38 of 125. Subscriber's Copy.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore