THE PHOTOGRAPH AND AMBROTYPE MANUAL: A PRACTICAL TREATISE, by Nathan G. Burgess- 1859 [Scarce, 5th Ed.]
The Photograph and Ambrotype Manual: A Practical Treatise
by Nathan G. Burgess
Fifth edition. New York: Wiley & Halsted, 1959; London: Truebner & Co., 1859.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Brown cloth covers show commensurate wear and dirt, with blind tooled frame and decorative border.
- Boards show some wear, with stains especially on back cover and spine. Corners are bumped and frayed, with exposed board.
- Spine is somewhat cocked, has gilt text and is faded, with bumped ends.
- Binding is shaken, with tendency to fall open between Part I and Part II. Please see photographs for details of condition.
- Ex libris book from library of Dr. Raymonde A Albray, features a crossword style bookplate on front pastedown.
- Endpapers are toned, have writing on back feps.
- Advertisements for photographic chemicals follow book text, on feps.
- Interior is age-toned, with scattered foxing as at page 192 and stain at page 170 and following. Please see photographs for details of condition.
- Inside pages show marginal notation at page 141. Please see photographs.
- Text block edges are darkened.
242 pages. 4.5 x 7 inches.
A scarce copy of this work by Burgess, written and published twenty years after the invention of the photographic technique by Daguerre. Intended as a practical manual, the subtitle reads in full: "A practical treatise on the art of taking positive and negative photographs on paper and glass, commonly known as photography in all its branches; containing all the various recipes practiced by the most successful operators in the United States." The author, Nathan G. Burgess was both a "practical photographer" and a manufacturer of chemicals for the art.
PROVENANCE: Bookplate on front pastedown from the library Dr. Raymonde A. Albray (d. 1968), dental surgeon from Maplewood, New Jersey. Also a 32nd degree Mason, an angler, moviemaker, gardener, traveler, and camera fan, according to the crossword-styled bookplate.
Published both in New York and London. Fifth Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore