THE AMERICAN SPEAKER, by John Frost - 1844
The American Speaker: Containing Numerous Rules, Observations, And Exercises On Pronunciation, Pauses, Inflections, Accent, And Emphasis; Also, Copious Extracts In Prose And Poetry, Calculated To Assist The Teacher, And To Improve The Pupil In Reading And Recitation.
by John Frost
A book on elocution, offering detailed rules, copious exercises and helpful examples, for the person interested in public speaking. At this time in history, speaking was considered an art form, and cultivating the skill of it was much more involved than standing up in front of people and talking. John Frost (1800-1859) was a teacher who changed careers to become a prolific American writer, known for writing many books about American history. 448 pages. 4.75 x 7.75inches.
Published by: Thomas, Cowperthwait, & Co., Philadelphia, PA. 1844.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Wear and notes are indicative of a book that has been used hard and well by numerous people.
- Half-bound in black leather with brown cloth.
- Binding is strong and solid.
- Spine was possibly secured with glue at an earlier time.
- Well-rubbed spine ends are firm, and were likely reinforced.
- Hinges are cracked, yet have no play.
- Some gaps can be seen between signatures.
- Leather on spine is dry with cracking, and well-rubbed shoulders.
- Gilt title on spine is still clear to read.
- Boards are well-scuffed and stained, with exposed board and fraying at perims.
- Text block edges are very dusty.
- Feps are missing from book.
- Pastedowns and title page exhibit many notes by different hands, mostly in pencil.
- Evidence of water damage can be seen throughout book, from cover to internal pages, mostly as light-to-moderate staining.
- Inside pages are age toned, with moderate foxing and light staining throughout.
- Interior writing is infrequent and in pencil.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #bookbotique #collectiblebooks