PHILOBIBLON, A TREATISE ON THE LOVE OF BOOKS, by Richard de Bury - 1832
Philobiblon, a Treatise on the Love of Books
by Richard de Bury, Bishop of Durham
Published by: Thomas Rodd, London, 1832.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays moderate expected wear and aging to covers and interior.
- Covers feature handsome marble colored design on paper.
- Boards exhibit moderate wear to leather and some fading to paper.
- Spine features lettering and filigree in gilt, and is darker in tone than shoulders.
- Binding is secure, spine and hinges having been professionally reinforced.
- Title page has some pencil writing completing title, and publisher's mark is visible on reverse. (See photos)
- Last leaf is missing.
- Interior displays mild overall age-toning, and some occasional marginal and corner staining.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages display evidence of repairs. At least one page is not entirely cut to be read along head, and title page has been professionally reinforced with extra paper to make up for edgewear. One page has been mended along fore edge with the adding of a piece of paper. Pages occasionally display edgewear with small corner chips. (See photos)
- Text block edges are stippled, and have been tinted along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
150 pages. 5 x 7.5 inches.
Priest, teacher, bishop, writer and bibliophile of the 13th and 14th centuries, Richard de Bury was one of the first English book collectors. This edition of the 19th century presents a translated version with an introduction, of this very old work which is said to have been used by Thomas a Kempis who took from it for his Doctrinale Juvenum. In this work a complete philosophy on books and their value, utility, and importance is presented, extolling the tremendous worth of the book as a tool of learning and even religious endeavor. Structured in essays of various subjects, the volume will be found to be a rare insight into the mind of a 14th century bibliophile.
Translated from the first edition with some collations. Edition includes a preface and a table of contents with a title for each essay.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.