DOMENICO SCANDELLA: HIS TRIALS BEFORE THE INQUISITION, by Andrea Del Col - 1996$225.00
Domenico Scandella Known as Menocchio: His Trials Before the Inquisition (1583-1599)
by Andrea Del Col
translated by John & Anne C. Tedeschi
Published by Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies. Binghamton, NY. 1997. Volume 139 of a limited hardcover series. 162 pages. 6.5" by 9.25".
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- ISBN: 9780866981484
- Red cloth covers with gilt cover title remains free of major signs of age or wear.
- Boards are gently scuffed and exhibit light stains, most notably along the area of the front top right corner and uppermost portion of the front outer hinge.
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine remains firm with gilt lettering and exhibits faint stains, a subtle crease along the surface (likely from contact with the textblock) and gently rubbed ends.
- Binding is strong.
- Ffep bears a signature in ink, otherwise endpapers remain free of any major sign of age or wear.
- Light marginalia to the Introduction (xlii, xlv-xlix, lviii).
- Textblock edges are gently age-toned with very light foxing and stains.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
An historical account of Domenico Scandella, a miller from the rural lowlands of northeastern Italy who was a subject of the Roman Inquisition for a period of sixteen years beginning in 1583 when he was tried and imprisoned on charges of heresy for his unconventional interpretation of the scriptures. Following his release he was marked as a criminal and forced to suffer social alienation. In 1599 he was declared a heretic and was sentenced to burn at the stake. The volume begins with introductory sections that provide biographical and historical information then proceeds to the body of the work which consists of the account of the trials.
Volume 139 of a limited hardcover series. issued during the period of 1978-1996 by MRTS, the publishing division of the Center for Medieval and Early Renaissance Studies, an organized research unit of the State University of New York. Includes a list of abbreviations, a preface by the translator and index.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore