CONFESSIONS OF HARRY LORREQUER, by Charles Lever; + CAREY & HART CATALOGUE - 1839 [single-bound]
The Confessions of Harry Lorrequer, with illustrations by Phiz
by Charles Lever
Carey & Hart's Catalogue of Choice, Rare and Valuable Books,
"...forming the most complete collection of English editions ever imported; which, with a large assortment of books, in every branch of literature, are for sale at the corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets."
This gem combines two unique collectibles: the first edition of Lever's first published book, and a very scarce catalog of books by Carey & Hart.
Carey and Hart Publishing (1829-1854) is often considered the preeminent American publishing firm of the 19th century. In addition to the "choice, rare and valuable books," this catalog includes listings for "Splendidly Illustrated works," titles unique to Carey & Hart, the entire works of Sir Walter Scott, and medical books, as well as a number of foreign language books. 32 pages. 5.5 x 8.5 inches. Dated April 1839.
The book itself is an early printing of the first book published by Charles James Lever (1806-1872)--an Irish novelist of English descent. It strings together rollicking tales of fun and adventure. Although harshly reviewed by critics, the general public embraced Lever's entertaining stories. 402 pages. 7 x 10 inches.
First illustrated edition published by: Carey & Hart, Philadelphia, PA. 1840.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition. Catalog insert is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- INSERT is bound securely into the end of the book.
- Booklet is neat with clean edges.
- Pages are free of writing and stray marks.
- Paper is lightly tanned, with darkened edges.
- Front and back papers are moderately foxed.
- Interior exhibits minor marks and signs of age.
- Excepting the stated signs of aging, this pamphlet is in exceptional condition, having been nicely preserved in this antique book.
- Brown buckram covers have decorative blind tooling on front and back.
- Spine with gilt is notably sunned.
- Head and talk of spine are crushed.
- Overall moderate edgewear to covers, including exposed board at corners.
- Binding is strong and secure, as well as cocked so that front board protrudes over back board.
- Covers are faded along the edges, with some scuffing, dirt and staining.
- Pastedowns and illustrations are severely foxed.
- Scattered light foxing throughout, with scarce signs of edgewear.
- Interior is free of marginalia and underlining.
- Gutter is opened, exposing binding threads at page 169 and illustration. Binding is still in place and secure. (Please see photos.)
- Text block edges are dusty and foxed.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.