A FAREWELL TO ARMS, by Ernest Hemingway - 1919 [Signed Ltd Ed:141/510]$3,995.00
A Farewell To Arms
by Ernest Hemingway
A handsome vintage edition of the timeless classic by one of America's greatest writers of the twentieth century. Narrated in the first person, by an American lieutenant enlisted in the ambulance corps of the Italian army, the main character, the novel is a poetical account of World War I, which serves as a background for a plot filled with romance and drama, in which the events of History are not more intense or more important than the characters' personal tragedies and turns of fate. One of the undisputed high spots of 20th Century Literature, arguably the Nobel Prize-winner's masterpiece, Hemingway's classic, semi-autobiographical story of love during the First World War..355 pages. 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
Signed Limited Edition. No. 141 of 510 copies, of which 500 are for sale and ten for presentation. With publisher's original slipcase.
Published by: Charles Scribner's Sons, New York, 1929.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Volume is in overall very good condition with mild toning on covers and interior.
- Quarterbound in vellum-like white, including corners.
- Boards exhibit mild overall toning, with a few scattered light stains and more pronounced toning along edges on back.
- Lower corners are minimally bumped.
- Spine features black title label with text in gilt showing tiny chip to corner, and shows overall sunning as well as minimal bumping to head.
- Binding is secure and a little easy at hinges.
- Endpapers are mildly aged with faint peripheral toning.
- Front endpaper displays previous ownership signature, written in ballpoint pen on upper right corner. (See photos)
- Signature of the author and copy number of limited edition facing half-title page. (See photos)
- Verso of signature page displays crossed out writing of unknown origin. (See photos)
- Unusual 0.5" stain on page 148. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned with occasional scattered foxing and smudges, mostly near gutter or marginal.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Few pages display creasing and closed edge tears including a barely perceptible 0.5" vertical closed tear on lower edge of pages 146-147 near gutter.
- Text block edges are deckled and show some discreet stains along head.
- Slipcase features titleblock with number of limited edition on front, and nice colored decoration.
- Slipcase displays moderate edgewear from rubbing that occasionally goes into decoration. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore