WOMEN ARE BEAUTIFUL, by Garry Winogrand - 1975 [1st Ed]
Women Are Beautiful
by Garry Winogrand
essay by Helen Gary Bishop
1st edition. New York: Light Gallery Books, 1975.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition, with a VERY GOOD- DJ.
- Blue linen over boards features silver title on front and spine. DJ exhibits commensurate wear and aging with minimal edgewear.
- Boards feature sharp corners and firm spine ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Photos are vibrant and clear
- Glossy interior is gently and evenly age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have one thin vertical .25" mark at fore edge from one affected page. (See photos)
- Illustrated DJ is overall lightly age toned with light wear.
- DJ has expected shelfwear scuffing along fore edge and shoulders with gentle nudges along edges. Also of note is a bump at head of spine, a 7 mm red line above title echoed below by 2 fainter lines visible between letters, a 12 mm closed tear at back foot edge, as well as some notable line impressions in back cover. (See photos)
- Returns are free of markings with intact pricing.
93 pages. 9.25 x 8.25 inches.
Lavishly illustrated with full page B&W photos, this book opens with a 6 page essay entitled "First Person, Feminine" as well as a brief statement by the artist. The body of work in this monograph is candid photographs of many different types of women out and about in the city. These aren't portraits but obviously impromptu shots out to capture a moment, a look, a vibe that conveys beauty on film.
American photographer Garry Winogrand (1928–1984) was a photojournalist of the highest caliber, garnering significant acclaim in his lifetime, including notable exhibitions and artist grants. The Guardian said about him that in "the 1960s and 70s, he defined street photography as an attitude as well as a style – and it has laboured in his shadow ever since." He is best known for his portrayal of U.S. life and its social issues, in the mid-20th century.
EDITION POINTS: FIRST EDITION.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore