WOMAN IN FRENCH ART, by George William Sheldon - 1890 [1st Ed]
Ideals of Life in France; or How the Great Painters portray Woman in French Art
with 225 Copper-Plates made in Paris especially for this Work by Goupil & Co., from Oil Paintings and Drawings
with Essays on Art in France by George William Sheldon
FIRST EDITION. New York and London: D. Appleton and Company, 1890.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Fine binding features green leather covers with gilt dentelle, as well as lettering and filigree on covers and rounded spine, that also has five raised bands, and handsome green endpapers with lovely marble design.
- Volume displays gentle overall wear and aging and is in great condition overall.
- Covers display some edgewear with rubbing to corners, where boards are exposed.
- Front cover exhibits little rubbing and scuffing, while back cover is more rubbed overall, with scuffs to both corners, three <1" to head corner and on an area of 1.5" x 0.75" approx. to foot corner. (See photos)
- Spine displays some rubbing, especially to ends and along shoulders and raised bands.
- Binding is overall secure. Hinges have been professionally reinforced, yet gutter shows some cracking at feps. Last illustration page is detached from textblock. (See photos)
- Detached page shows some edgewear along fore edge, with small tears and some creasing. (See photos)
- Front endpaper shows a sticker residue to foot corner on right. (See photos)
- Illustrations show little aging, with gentle toning and occasional marginal smudges, and are bright and clear. Plates are protected behind light stock paper guards, that show light shadows from illustrations. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned throughout. Text pages are thinner than plate pages.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges have AEG, and exhibit minor overall scuffing, with gilt still bright.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
150 pages. 12 x 16 inches.
Fine binding features green leather covers, with gilt dentelle, lettering and filigree on both covers and rounded spine, that also has five raised bands. Endpapers feature handsome green marble design.
Volume features 225 splendid copper-plate illustrations, among which are full-page photogravures. Nearly all to all text pages are illustrated with typogravure.
In this work George Sheldon pairs a splendid collection of paintings and drawings with a fascinating text on French Art. The depiction of woman in these artworks teaches us a lot about society in France in those times, as it features images of women of various social conditions and in various settings and situations. Moreover, this amazing catalog includes such artists as J. Beraud, Jules Breton, A. Morot, L. David, and many others.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore