WOMAN AS DECORATION, by Emily Burbank - 1917 [1st Ed]
Woman as Decoration
by Emily Burbank
illustrated by various
FIRST EDITION, with all 33 plates present. New York: Dodd, Mead and Company, 1917.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Antique binding features green cloth covers with gilt lettering on front and spine.
- Volume displays minor overall wear with gentle aging, and is remarkably well preserved.
- Covers exhibit minor edgewear, with minimal dust along head edges, and are still vibrant.
- Spine displays some softening to ends, more to head, with gentle bumping.
- Binding is secure.
- Frontispiece displays minor marginal foxing. (See photos)
- Illustrations are well preserved, showing overall toning and occasional light marginal foxing. All 33 plates present. (See photos)
- Interior is gently, evenly age-toned. Last pages occasionally show more pronounced foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages have been left uncut along fore edge by publisher. (See photos)
- Text block edges have gilt along head, and are deckled, showing commensurate toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
326 pages. 5.75 x 8.5 inches.
Antique binding features green cloth covers with gilt. Volume has 33 photographic plates with a monochrome frontispiece depicting Geraldine Farrar in Greek costume as Thais in the opera. Lavishly illustrated throughout.
An exhaustive guide on the art of dress for the female figure, this book covers various and diverse historical periods from the ancient Greek and Egyptians, to the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, through Renaissance and the times in between. Including extensive examples of dressing of famous actresses, singers, models, sovereigns, and even from paintings and antique vases, the volume is a reference for all elements of woman's dress, from the clothes to the jewelry and all essential aspects of decoration. Emphasizing that the elegance of her dress must not be the sole preoccupation of the woman of quality, the author states the importance of being well-dressed and pleasant to view in any occasion.
Emily Burbank is the author of various books on interior decoration.
Includes a foreword and conclusion. All plates fully captioned and attributed.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore