A WINTER SERMON, illustrated by David Claypoole Johnston - 1856
A Winter Sermon for Christmas and New Year
illustrated by David Claypoole Johnston
An elegant 19th century gift book. The poem "A Winter Sermon" is rendered in charming illustrations over 12 plates. The poem reminds readers to be grateful for the blessings of life, especially compared to those less fortunate. Opens with full text of poem, followed by illustrations, each representing a couplet.
A total of 12 full-page, detailed and vibrant wood engravings, with two lines of verse per illustration, depicting scenes from 19th century life in Boston. Each plate has maintained its tissue guard, and includes artist's marks/signature. Illustrated by the accomplished American printmaker, painter, cartoonist and actor David Claypoole Johnston (1799-1865). Printer: R.M. Edwards. Unpaginated. 7" by 8.5"
Published by Brown, Bazin and Company. Boston, MA. 1856.
Antique Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- AEG - gilt to all textblock edges.
- Blue pictorial cloth boards feature decorative gilt title with blind tooling to the cover and similar blind tooling to the back.
- The boards are in good condition exhibiting apparent signs of age and wear, including edgewear and worn corners, most notably to lower corners which exhibit exposed board and fraying.
- A subtle stain can be seen around the cover illustration.
- The spine is strong and sunned with light scuffing and crushed ends with fraying.
- Interior pages are tanned, with light scattered foxing and smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Illustrated title page is tinted, with intact tissue guard, and shows some prominent perimeter foxing. Please see photos.
- Pastedowns and endpapers are toned and foxed with offsetting to the rear endpaper and pastedown.
- Ffep bears gift inscription.
- Illustrations with accompanying tissue guards are present and intact though show light foxing, primarily to the perimeter.
- Tissue guards present for each illustration exhibit light-to-moderate foxing, and one with a folded corner and pronounced creasing. Please see photos.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.