WINGS ON MY FEET, BLACK ULYSSES by Howard W Odum -1929 [SIGNED 1st Ed ]$110.00
Very gently used, with commensurate aging. Signed on front pastedown. AS IS. Please see description and photos for more information. More detailed photos are available in the description.
WINGS ON MY FEET, BLACK ULYSSES Howard W Odum 1929 SIGNED 1st Ed Black Americana
Wings On My Feet: Black Ulysses At The Wars
by Howard W. Odum
Fiction written as an autobiographical account, consisting of loosely connected episodes interspersed with folk songs. (Am. Journal of Sociology) American sociologist Howard Washington Odum (1884-1954) was known for his studies of the American South.
"One of the few depictions of African Americans in World War I, Wings on My Feet (1929) follows the tale of Black Ulysses, John Wesley "Left Wing" Gordon, begun in Howard W. Odum's Rainbow Round My Shoulder (IUP, 2006). On one level, the novel continues a symbolic journey of the African American spirit; on another, it tracks the experiences of one black soldier from draft to training, shipping out, landing, fighting, returning stateside, and reintegrating into society. The book also explores broader social issues of race, war, and prejudice. As the subtitle makes clear, it is the story not of one war but the various wars Black Ulysses has endured before, during, and after World War I." (later publisher) 309 pages. 5.5 x 8 inches.
SIGNED on front pastedown/endsheet by the author.
FIRST EDITION, published by: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, Indianapolis, IN. 1929.
For more books of Black Americana, please see the special section of our BigCommercestore or website. We acquired an extensive collection of Black Americana and new items are being added every week!
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Blue boards have yellow ink text on front and spine.
- Binding is secure and strong.
- Spine exhibits some sun fading, as do cover perimeters especially on back.
- Spine ends are bumped, with wrinkle at head of spine.
- Corners of covers are sharp.
- Minimal signs of wear to perimeters.
- Interior is free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are dusty, with expected perforations evident on fore and foot edges.
- Inside pages are gently age toned.
- Small pencil numbers between back feps.
- Back pastedown has discreet bookseller sticker near foot of hinge.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookbotique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks