WEIRD TALES, Vol 1 & 2, by E.T.W. Hoffmann - 1885 [1st Ed]
WEIRD TALES Volume 1 & 2, by E. T. W. Hoffmann 1885 First Edition Fiction Scarce
Weird Tales, Volume 1 and 2
by E. T. W. Hoffmann
Two volume set of weird tales, six in volume one, five in volume two followed by lengthy bio of Hoffmann. Titles include"The Cremona Violin," "The Fermata," "Signor Formica," "The Sandman," "The Entail," and "Arthur's Hall." Translated from the original German by J. T. BEALBY (1858 - ?). Ernst Theodor Amadeus Wilhelm Hoffman (1776 - 1822) was "a German writer, composer, caricaturist, and painter, mostly known for his stories in which supernatural characters reveal people’s hidden secrets." [germanculture com ua/famous-germans/wilhelm-hoffmann/] He is considered the first writers to venture into the realm of weird and speculative fiction, including elements of horror and sinister characters. 359 and 401 pages. 5.25" by 7.5" each.
Publishing Info: Charles Scribner's Sons, New York 1885
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Very scarce printing by Scribner
- Presumed first American edition
- Gilt lettering on spines
- B&w frontis illustration of Hoffmann in volume one
- Bindings are secure
- Light .5" sun line to top of both volumes
- Spines are sunned
- Corners are lightly scuffed and bumped
- Previous owners signature on both ffep's
- Some light foxing to first few pages of each volume
- A few pencil marks to back pastedown of volume two
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.