WALTER CRANE'S TOY BOOK - c.1880 [3 Vols]
Walter Crane's Toy Book
A beautiful collection of three volumes of fairy tales and stories for the very young, with Walter Crane's colorful and entertaining illustrations. The handsome, easy-to-read prose will delight young children as much as the lovely illustrations as they discover these timeless inspiring stories, some educational, and their parents rediscover them simultaneously. Containing such titles as Adventures of puffy, The Alphabet of Old Friends, The Frog Prince, Cinderella, The Sleeping Beauty, and all the most beloved classics, this is a collection to be treasured by young and old alike, and a valuable addition to any book lover's library.
- The Alphabet of Old Friends
- Aladdin or the Wonderful Lamp
- Beauty and the Beast
- The Frog Prince
- Goody Two Shoes
- The Hind in the Wood
- Princess Belle-Etoile
- The Yellow Dwarf
- 9 x 10.5 inches.
- The Absurd ABC
- The Forty Thieves
- My Mother
- Old Mother Hubbard
- Puss In Boots
- The Sleeping Beauty
- The Three Bears
- Valentine and Orson
- Baby's Own Alphabet
- Jack and the Bean Stalk
- Little Red Riding Hood
- 7.5 x 9.75 inches.
- Adventures of Puffy
- Annie & Jack in London
- A Gaping-Wide-Mouth Waddling Frog
- 1 2 Buckle my Shoe
- Chattering Jack
- The Fairy Ship
- Grammar in Rhyme
- How Jessie Was Lost
- King Luckieboy's Party
- The Multiplication Table in Verse
- The Noah's Ark Alphabet
- The Old Courtier
- This Little Pig went to Market
- Sing a Song of Sixpence
- 7.5 x 9.75 inches
Three volumes. Lavishly illustrated with the colorful plates of Walter Crane. Numbered only on text pages. Text and illustration pages printed on one side only.
Published by: George Routledge & Sons, London and New York, c. 1880.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes are in overall very good condition with mild to moderate general wear on covers and inside.
- Color marbled covers are half bound in white/gray vellum and show moderate wear.
- Boards exhibit strong overall scuffing, toning, and chips towards edges of vellum binding, as well as some edgewear from rubbing and occasional chipping. (See photos)
- Corners are sharp and display some soiling.
- Spine has seven raised bands and decorated gilt with two text blocks, featuring text in gilt, and mild fading and chips along one edge of textblocks.
- Binding is secure with occasional gaps between signatures.
- Endpapers display handsome color marble design, and moderate aging from fading and slight darkening along edges, as well as light, occasional damage to hinges from tears.
- Interior is gently age-toned, and shows commensurate wear with expected toning, minimal creasing and tearing, and some chipping along gutter as on 4th text page of first story in volume 1, as well as a large tear ascending from edge of 3rd text page of The Frog Prince. (See photos)
- Pages contain occasional pencil marks and notes throughout. (See photos)
- Signature is detached in vol 2 in the Valentine and Orson story, on illustration pages. (See photos)
- Ffeps exhibit moderate overall foxing which is milder on text pages.
- Front fep of vol 1 exhibits a tipped-in newspaper article cut-out from The Atheneum and hand-dated March 17th, 1877. (See photos)
- Text block edges exhibit yellow tint darkening along head, and overall fading with some stains.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Walter Crane (15 August 1845 – 14 March 1915) was an English artist and book illustrator. He is considered to be the most influential, and among the most prolific, children’s book creator of his generation and, along with Randolph Caldecott and Kate Greenaway, one of the strongest contributors to the child's nursery motif that the genre of English children's illustrated literature would exhibit in its developmental stages in the latter 19th century.
Crane's work featured some of the more colourful and detailed beginnings of the child-in-the-garden motifs that would characterize many nursery rhymes and children's stories for decades to come. He was part of the Arts and Crafts movement and produced an array of paintings, illustrations, children's books, ceramic tiles and other decorative arts. Crane is also remembered for his creation of a number of iconic images associated with the international Socialist movement.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore