WALT WHITMAN: AN 1855-56 NOTEBOOK - 1959 [Ltd Ed]
Walt Whitman: An 1855-56 Notebook toward the Second Edition of Leaves of Grass
Introduction and Notes by Harold W. Blodgett
with a Foreword by Charles E. Feinberg
LIMITED EDITION, SIGNED by Charles E. Feinberg. No. 19 of 500. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 1959.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition with VERY GOOD slipcase.
- Volume displays minimal overall wear.
- Green cloth covers feature title in gilt on front.
- Spine has gilt lettering.
- Binding is secure.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Slipcase displays overall toning and a 1.25" scuff to upper corner on front. (See photos)
- Back of slipcase shows some thin marks and smudges. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
41 pages. 7 x 10.5 inches.
One of the most outstanding figures in American poetry, Walt Whitman (1819-1892) was also an essayist and journalist. As a humanist, he was part of the transition between transcendentalism and realism, and incorporated both in his works. Leaves of Grass was written as a collection of poem that he would keep on revising throughout his life. Meant as a truly American epic, it used free verse with a rythm based on the Bible. Complete with introductions and notes delivering some key information on the elaboration of the collection, the notebook shows the sketches and first attempts of the writer as he created one of his most significant works.
Includes a foreword by Charles E. Feinberg, and additional notes by William White.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore