URFORMEN DER KUNST, by Karl Blossfeldt - 1928 [1st Ed]
Urformen Der Kunst: Photographische Pflanzenbilder
(Archetypes of Art: Photographic Plant Pictures)
by Karl Blossfeldt
with Introduction by Karl Nierendorf
FIRST EDITION, First Printing. Text in German. Berlin, Germany: Ernst Wasmuth, 1928.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Antique binding features green cloth covers with gilt on front and spine.
- Volume display gentle commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers show minimal fading and a little dust. Gilt is bright on front.
- Front cover is slightly bowed upwards.
- Boards are dusty along edges.
- Spine shows some sunning and fading, as well as softening and fraying at head.
- Binding is secure overall, with a little play and some cracking at hinges, front and rear, more pronounced on front. (Photo is of front)
- Feps and half-title page are creased vertically across page. (See photos)
- Title page has similar creases.
- Illustrations are gently toned throughout. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned, with rare smudges and minimal wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages show a minimal persistent bump to head corner of pages.
- Textblock edges display commensurate toning, as well as dust along head, minimal staining, and some dirt at foot corner. (See photos)
18 pages of captions to illustrations + 120 one-sided illustration plates. 10 x 12.5 inches.
Antique binding features green cloth covers with gilt on front and spine.
Book is lavishly illustrated with B&W photographs of plant life. Features an Introduction by Karl Nierendorf. Volume also includes a list of illustration with captions at beginning. Text is in German.
The magnificent photographs of Karl Blossfeldt show nature in its most beautiful aspects. Close-ups of exceptional and breath-taking precision offer details on plant life that are hard to witness in real life, while a beautiful introduction gives a delightful welcome into the book. As beautiful to just contemplate as they are useful for scientific studies on plant life, these stunning photographs capture the unique beauty of the plant kingdom to allow us insight into the slow life of the plant.
Karl Blossfeldt (1865-1932) was a German photographer, sculptor, teacher and artist, who taught at the Berlin Art and Crafts School; among his students was the American sculptor Heinz Warneke. Inspired by nature and the way in which plants grow, he believed the plant must be considered as a totally artistic and architectural structure. He is most known for his close-ups photographs of plant life and living things.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition, First Printing.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore