UNIVERSITY FOOT-BALL, by James R. Church - 1893
University Foot-Ball: The Play of Each Treated by a College Expert
edited by James R. Church
An early volume that compiles twelve essays authored by notable 19th century Ivy league football players on various aspects of the game including strategy and plays, rules and regulations, and the role of specific positions and their abilities. Includes an introductory essay by editor James R. Church and a chapter written by former Princeton University quarterback Edgar Allen Poe, who was named after his second cousin twice removed, American author Edgar Allen Poe. Features eight individual portraits of each featured athlete and eight illustrations of plays. 133 pages. 5" by 7.25"
Published by Charles Scribner's Sons. New York, NY. 1893.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Brown cloth covers, featuring gilt lettering and illustration, exhibit light scuffing and gentle aging.
- Corners exhibit minor wear with light bumping which has lead to very faint creases to the corners of the interior. Please see photos for clarification.
- Spine has gilt lettering and design; the upper portion exhibits a thin .75" tear to the upper portion while the ends are softened with open tears.
- Binding is secure overall though does appear to be cracked and/or loosened along the gutter in the following areas: 39-44/facing plate are loose, 54-58/facing plate page exhibits loose binding, 59/facing plate is loose with the upper 2" portion of the plate exhibiting a tear along the inner margin, 67/facing plate with the remaining two pages of this section being loose, 71/facing plate is significantly cracked with exposed webbing while the remainder of this section is loose with moderately exposed stitching, 80/81 are loose, 83/facing plate is gently cracked, 86/87 is cracked with exposed stitching while the upper 1.25" portion is loose. Please see photos for clarification.
- Endpapers and feps exhibit gentle age-toning.
- Frontispiece is present with intact tissue guard which exhibits a closed tear along the bottom edge.
- Illustration plates are present though exhibit varying wear along the gutter. See above section on binding.
- Interior is gently age-toned with mild scuffing throughout while pages 39 and 40, 100/101 bear small stains. Please see photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are mildly darkened and uneven due to the state of the binding.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore