TYPE SPECIMEN BOOK, Quinn & Boden - c.1927
Type Specimen Book
by Quinn & Boden Company
A unique sample book offered to publishers by book manufacturer Quinn & Boden (1906-1978). Opens with a guide on bookmaking covering all aspects of the business including its different agents, its steps and the making of the boards. Most of the book offers exquisite examples of many distinctive fonts and styles of printing. Divided in sections containing numerous examples of type faces, each section gathering examples of a distinct style, this volume is a complete and detailed guide on bookmaking. 503 pages. 6.5 x 9.75 inches.
Black & white illustrated frontis. Table of contents. More than 20 linotype and and monotype faces with examples in different letter sizes.
Published by: Quinn & Boden Company, Inc., Rahway, NJ. Undated, likely between 1925-1940 (other sellers state circa 1927).
Hardback is overall in Very Good+ condition, with Fair cellophane protector.
- Volume is in overall very good condition showing minimal wear, with some aging.
- Blue cloth covers are clean and have retained cellophane protection from publisher.
- Front cover has handsome bright copper title block, well-preserved with name of publisher/manufacturer.
- Boards show minimal wear/aging mostly from fading of cloth near edges, and a slight white mark descending from upper edge to lower right corner (to shoulder of spine) on back.
- Corners are slightly bumped with more pronounced rubbing and slight bumping at upper corners.
- Spine has text and decorative lines in bright gilt, and displays overall fading.
- Spine ends are slightly softened and minimally rubbed.
- Binding is firm and secure.
- Endpapers show mild toning with scarce light stains, light scattered foxing and some shadows near edges.
- Frontispiece is intact with some scattered foxing, mostly marginal, partly going into illustration. (See photos)
- Interior is minimally age-toned with scarce scattered foxing near edges on some pages.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges exhibit moderate age-toning with bright gilt along head and some dust with light foxing on fore edge.
- Lower edge of textblock is deckled.
- Cellophane protection shows considerable warping and displays some closed tears along upper edges and chipping at foot of spine. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
These highly-collectible "catalogs" were released periodically by book printers to help publishers make choices for the style and look of a book, and to hopefully use their services. It is unlikely that more than one edition would be made of these sample books, although a web search reveals that the manufacturer released other sample books in the early 1920s and 1940s (with different formats/titles). "Type Specimen Books" have been an important part of the printing trade since soon after the invention of printing with movable metal type in the 15th century. Linotype printing helped cultivate their use, and some specialty houses continue to produce them.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore