TURBA PHILOSOPHORUM, Or ASSEMBLY OF THE SAGES, by A.E. Waite - 1914
Gently used, with minimal commensurate aging. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE! Please see description for more details. AS IS.
The Turba Philosophorum, or Assembly of the Sages
by Arthur Edward Waite
Subtitle continues "called also the book of truth in the art and the third Pythagorical synod, an ancient alchemical treatise translated into English, together with the chief readings of the shorter codes, parallels from the green alchemists, and explorations of obscure terms."
Very scarce SECOND EDITION. The Turba Philosophorum is indisputably the most ancient extant treatise on Alchemy in the Latin tongue, but it was not, so far as can be ascertained, originally written in Latin. 211 pages with index. 5.25" by 7.75".
Second Edition published by William Rider & Son. London, UK. 1914.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Red cloth covers are clean with embossed title.
- Boards show some signs of aging and wear such as sunning primarily to the perimeter of the front and rear, with light indentations to the edges and light soiling to the cloth along the perimeter of the interior aspect of the boards.
- Corners are bumped and lightly bowed.
- Spine has gilt lettering and is sunned with crushed ends.
- Binding is secure with moderate play; while the binding is secure overall, the gutters are cracked to the following: 16/17, 44/45, 48/49, 80/81, 96/97, 112/113, 144/145, 176/177 PLease see photos.
- Front pastedown bears what appears to be a signature in pencil in the lower left corner.
- The pastedowns and feps are age-toned with the feps showing subtle offsetting.
- Interior is gently age-toned and darkened in areas and exhibits minimal signs of age and wear.
- Page 38 bears what appears to be traces of graphite running diagonally through the text. Please see photos.
- Marginalia to the following: page 1 of the body of the text bears a small pencil mark, page 6 bears light writing in pencil, 32 bears miniscule symbols, 146, 147, 148 bears numbers in pencil, 152 bears numbers in pencil.
- Pages 149-157 are heavily darkened along the bottom edge. Please see photos.
- Textblock edges are darkened.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore