THOMAS H. BENTON, by Joseph M. Rogers - 1905 [The American Biographies Crisis]$45.00
Used. The fascinating life of former Missouri Senator and humanist, Thomas H. Benton. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Please see description for more information and detailed condition.
THOMAS H. BENTON, by Joseph M. Rogers - 1905 The American Crisis Biographies
Thomas H. Benton
by Joseph M. Rogers
Includes an inscription from Lewis Nixon to Stanhope Nixon. From the American Crisis Biographies comes the chronicling of the life of former U.S. Senator Thomas H. Benton who was an aid to President Andrew Jackson during the formation of the Democratic Party. Entries include birth, the death of of his father, his admittance to the bar in Tennessee and election as a member of Tennessee legislature, his position on slavery and related legislation, his political career under Andrew Jackson and more. 361 pages with index. 5.5" by 7.5"
Published by George W. Jacobs & Company. Philadelphia. 1905.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Blue cloth boards are in good condition showing signs of minor wear and aging.
- Scuffing to boards with bumping to the corners.
- Spine head and tail are lightly pushed with fraying.
- Ffep bears an inscription and signature in pencil.
- Ffep bears partially erased writing in pencil.
- The textblock has been carefully maintained, with bold text on clean bright pages, showing signs of gentle aging such as toning and foxing limited to the textblock edges and the frontispiece and accompanying tissue.
- Top edge guilt is bright and intact while remaining edges show
- The binding is pliant though secure, tight in areas.
- No writing, highlighting, underlining or other intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
A letter from Andrew Jackson to Thomas H. Benton concerning the infamous brawl, courtesy of the Library of Congress:
Hermitage, July [28 or later] 1813 . . . . It is the character of the man of honor, and particularly of the soldier not to quarrel and brawl like the fish woman. I defy the world to say that if an injury or supposed injury had proceeded from my hand, that I was unwilling to repair it. If in an error (as all men are fallable) on friendly explanation I hasten to acknowledge it. But if driven by any of the wicked passions to the alternative of acknowledging a falsehood, doing a dishonorable act, or appealing to the last resort of men of honor, I never did, nor never will hesitate on the subject.
Continued, at the internet archives of the Library of Congress.
A word about the series, The American Biographies Crisis:
These biographies will constitute a complete and comprehensive history of the great American sectional struggle in the form of readable and authoritative biography. The editor has enlisted the co-operation of many competent writers, as will be noted from the list given below. An interesting feature of the undertaking is that the series is to be impartial, Southern writers having been assigned to Southern subjects and Northern writers to Northern subjects, but all will belong to the younger generation of writers, thus assuring freedom from any suspicion of wartime prejudice. The Civil War will not be treated as a rebellion, but as the great event in the history of our nation, which, after forty years, it is now clearly recognized to have been
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
- When you buy from us, we would greatly appreciate positive feedback to add to our ratings! Thank you in advance!
- We encourage you to contact us with any questions! We also welcome additional information on any of our listings.
- Other shipping options may be available. Please contact us for more details and information. Pickup is also welcome!
- Orders ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment, unless otherwise notified. Payment is due within 2 days of auction end to guarantee availability and price.
- International Buyers: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges; these charges are the BUYER's responsibility. FULL VALUE will be declared on all overseas items.
- If your order hasn't arrived, or isn't as described, please contact us and we'll work with you to find a satisfactory resolution!
Thank you for your interest in this listing!
Launched from my store - Powered by Highwire.com