THE YOUNG GENTLEMAN AND LADY'S MONITOR, by J. Hamilton Moore - 1790$75.00
The Young Gentleman and Lady's Monitor and English Teacher's Assistant: being a Collection of Select Pieces from our Best Modern Writers: calculated to Eradicate Vulgar Prejudices and Rusticity of Manners; Improve the Understanding; Rectify the Will; Purify the Passions; Direct the Minds of Youth to the Pursuit of Proper Objects; and to facilitate their Reading, Writing, and Speaking the English Language, with Elegance and Propriety
by J. Hamilton Moore
Published by: Hugh Gaine, New York, 1790.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume is in good overall condition with expected aging inside and wear to covers.
- Leather covers display pronounced overall rubbing, with chips and exposed boards at corners.
- Upper corners are bumped.
- Spine features red titleblock with gilt, and exhibits notable rubbing as well as chipping to ends.
- Shoulders are cracked.
- Binding is fragile with hinges starting to split. (See photos)
- Back fep has a chip to lower corner, and one page of index has chip to upper corner. Feps display strong overall wear and toning.
- Interior is strongly toned with scattered foxing throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages display edgewear such as tears, creases, chips...,etc.
- Textblock edges exhibit expected toning with some foxing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
378 pages. 4.25 x 6.75 inches.
A book of instruction for young people on how to act in society, and become honest citizens. The author wrote the book as a work of instruction on the philosophy and aim of life, and how to be a well-behaved and refined person, pleasant to society and friends.
Volume includes a preface by the editor, and an appendix with poems, select passages from dramatic writers, and more. Some publisher's ads at end of book.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.